How To Get Into Medical Transcriptionist At Home Jobs
Getting into medical transcriptionist at home jobs require requires familiarity with medical terms and procedures. Apart from that, you must be able to type fast and must have excellent listening skills. If you got all this, then you are a perfect fit for the job.
Generally speaking, transcription or transcribing is the process of converting spoken words or voice recordings into text format. What makes medical transcription different is, it focuses more on the medical field.
Among the different types of transcription jobs, medical transcription is the most lucrative one. Yes, companies pay higher to medical transcriptionists compared to general and/or legal transcribers. Later on, you will know why that is so.
At first glance, you will find medical transcription very challenging, but along the way, with the right training and regular practice, you will eventually master the craft, which allows you to earn more!
Honestly, of all the work from home jobs out there, medical transcription at home jobs is probably one of the most fulfilling ones – because it does not only allow you to earn money, but it also allows you to help and affect other people through your work.
Defining Medical Transcription
We’ve said so much already and probably by now you already have an idea of what medical transcription is all about.
Medical transcription, for your information, refers to the process of listening to an audio or video file, which usually come from medical professionals like doctors and nurses, and then converting the file into written documents.
Remember we said earlier that medical transcription is rewarding? Well, the reason behind that is because once the audio file or voice recording is already in written format, it immediately becomes a part of a patient’s permanent medical record. That means your work will last for a lifetime. It’s going to be a basis or reference of a patient’s medical history.
Obviously, the person who does medical transcription jobs is called a medical transcriptionist or transcriber. In some cases, he or she is also called as medical transcription editor or dictation editors – whose job is to correct and edit written reports produced by speech recognition software. Yes, with the help of technology, there is already software that helps make medical transcriptionists’ job easier.
So, if in case you are new in this industry, you may also use those job terms when looking for remote medical transcription jobs.
Medical Transcription Training
Moving on, while there really is no required license to be a medical transcriptionist, you must, however, be familiar with medical terms, physiology, and anatomy, as well as medical reporting. It’s easy when you have a medical-related educational or professional background.
But in cases when you are totally new to it but would like to pursue this career path, companies will require you to acquire medical transcription certifications. In order to do so, you have to go through a medical transcription training program.
For your information, most medical transcription training programs available nowadays can be completed in as little as four to nine months. If you are a stay at home mom who does not have the luxury of time or the freedom to leave home to attend classes, you do not have to worry about that. Why? Because there are a lot of community colleges or career institutions that offer medical transcription training online. Yes, you can go through it right in the comfort of your home.
One example is CareerStep, which was given an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau. The company was also endorsed by Dave Ramsey. But nothing beats with the fact that their program can be completed within four months only – and it’s 100 percent online-based. By the way, we just want to say that is not a paid post.
Furthermore, if you do not have the funds to go through the training, you do not have to worry, because the company also offers tuition assistance and special funding for those who belong in military families. Not just that! The company also offer graduate support, which means they will help you land a job once you are done with the training and have been certified.
By the way, once you are done with the training, you will need to take and pass the Registered Healthcare Documentation Specialist or RHDS examination. This test is voluntary, which means you may or may not take it (but ideally, you should). It must also be retaken every three years.
If you are a newbie in this industry, we highly recommend taking the examination as it will help you in establishing your credibility as a medical transcriptionist, and would make it easier for you as you look into medical transcriptionist at home jobs.
Skills and Equipment Required
Before you look for medical transcriptionist at home jobs, you must first look into the requirements for the job, and make sure everything is ticked off.
For your reference, most medical transcription companies look for the following skills in their applicants:
– Top-notch listening skills
– High typing speed
– Excellent written communication skills
– Knowledgeable in medical terms, procedure, and more
– Ability to multi-task
– Can meet the deadlines set
In addition to the skill set we mentioned, as a work from home medical transcriptionist, you must also meet the required equipment, which includes the following:
– Dependable laptop or desktop computer
– High-speed internet connection
– High-quality headphones
– Good quality foot pedal
– Transcription software
While there are some companies that supply the right equipment to their medical transcriptionists, most companies will require you to have your own.
Earlier we said that medical transcription is a lucrative work from home job. Well, we stand to that because you can really make a very good amount of money by being a medical transcriptionist especially if you have gained the experience, you have the expertise and the knowledge for the job. In addition, if you also work hard, and does not mind working on several audio files in a day.
Now, based on the data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the United States, work from home medical transcriptionists earn an average salary rate amounting to $16.72 per hour or above $34,000 per year.
Unfortunately, most transcription companies hire experienced medical transcriptionists. Thus, if you are a newbie, except for a little lower pay rate, which should be fine because you are just starting. Eventually, as you progress and gain more experience, and excel especially in your typing skills, you can eventually ask for a higher pay rate.
While as of this writing, there still are a lot of companies and clients looking for medical transcriptionists, you must be prepared though because a lot of doctor’s offices, hospitals, and clinics are shying away from recorded records. Instead, they go for digital documentation, which poses a threat to medical transcriptionists.
These changes lead to a possible decline in medical transcriptionist at home jobs (or even on-site) of about -3% from 2016 to 2026. But as we said, there is nothing to worry about just yet. Medical transcription is still booming as of this moment anyway.
Starting Your Medical Transcription Career
Now that you already know what medical transcription is all about, what skills and equipment you need to be one, and how much money you can make in this industry, let’s move on to how you can start your work from home medical transcription career.
To start off, first, you must educate yourself by taking necessary training or short courses on medical transcription. Earlier we mentioned the medical transcription training program, which is vital in getting into the medical transcription industry. Eventually, you will need to acquire certifications, to take your qualifications to a higher level.
Furthermore, you must continue to learn. One of the keys to be successful in this field is to continue learning. Your mastery in the medical field means getting paid more.
You do not necessarily have to pay to learn new knowledge, you can also look into different resources available like the following:
- American Healthcare Documentation Professionals Group
- Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity
- Ten Great Online Resources for Medical Transcriptionists
- Medical Transcription For Dummies
Second, you must create an online presence. An online presence is necessary to help attract more clients – and also because your job is virtual. Thus, it is only right that you have an online presence as well.
The most ideal way to create an online presence is by creating a well-written LinkedIn profile. It’s actually the best way to start. Just in case you do not know yet, more and more people, recruiters per se, are looking into LinkedIn to help them get to know more the applicant.
But apart from LinkedIn, you can also make use of freelance portals like Upwork and Guru where you can list your services.
Lastly, you must promote your medical transcription business. As an independent work from home contractor, you have to work on promoting yourself. While getting into job listing sites and LinkedIn are good ways to promote your expertise, you can also join medical transcription groups and forums for networking purposes.
Companies That Offer Medical Transcriptionist at Home Jobs
Of course, we cannot just leave you hanging not knowing where to go. Thus, below are some of the many companies that offer medical transcriptionist at home jobs (in no particular order):
- Focus Forward – Although Focus Forward prefers hiring experienced medical transcriptionists, they still do welcome newbies in the industry. Also, the company offers medical transcriptionist at home jobs to anyone regardless of where you are in the world. Like most transcription companies, Focus Forward has a very flexible work schedule. They pat $0.40 per audio minute.
- E-Typist – E-Typist is an online company that provides work from home medical transcriptionist at home jobs. To qualify for the job though, you must have a minimum of three years’ work experience. You must also possess a strong command of the English language. In addition, you must be using Windows Vista, 7 or 8 operating system; a reliable, high-speed internet connection, a good quality headset, and an Infinity wave foot pedal.
- GMR Transcription – GMR Transcription is one of the most popular transcription companies online that offer work from home transcription jobs. It is particularly famous among newbies in the medical transcription and transcription industry as a whole. Though they are open to hiring newbies, they must, however, pass the application process. For your information, GMR is not only hiring English transcribers, but Spanish transcribes as well. The company works on transcription tasks on different topics like legal, medical, business, academic, and so much more.
- Go Transcript – Go Transcript s another popular site that offers medical transcriptionist at home jobs. The company is very open to medical transcriptionists without any previous work experience as long as you meet the company requirements like having a strong command of the English language. Go Transcript is also open for anyone regardless of what country you are from. The average earning of a transcriptionist per month is $150. Also, you are given 10 hours to complete a 10-minute audio or video file. To be honest, it’s very generous of the company. Thus, we find it very ideal for newbies in medical transcription and transcription in general.
- Hollywood Transcribers – To be able to qualify for a medical transcription job with Hollywood Transcribers, you must have a good quality digital foot pedal, a reliable computer, and you must also have a transcription software installed on your computer. Furthermore, the applicant must also be able to meet the required number of words per minute, which is 65, and must be fluent in English.
- Pioneer Transcription Services – Apart from looking for English medical transcriptionists, the company is hiring Spanish transcribers. Also, Pioneer Transcriptions hiring typists who can do video files and insert on-screen timestamps. All candidates must have a transcription software installed on their computer, an Infinity Foot Pedal, a strong command of the English language and years of experience in transcription jobs.
- Quicktate – Quicktate offers almost all types of transcription jobs – including medical transcription. To qualify for the job, candidates must be accurate. Also, the company prefers hiring applicants with previous transcription job experience.
- Rev – Rev.com is probably the most famous company when it comes to providing transcription jobs. Rev is open to anyone – regardless if you have previous work experience or none. All you need to do is to ensure you pass a grammar quiz and must be able to submit a transcript sample to prove that you have the skills required for the job. Rev.com offers a flexible schedule and a steady stream of work like most transcription companies.
- SpeakWrite – To qualify for the medical transcription job at SpeakWrite, you must be a resident of the United States or Canada. You must also be fluent in English, meets the required number of words per minute (60 words per minute) with a 90% accuracy. SpeakWrite does not only offer medical transcription jobs, but also general and legal transcription. While experience is required, the company is still open for newbies as long as they pass the application process and meets not just the skills required but also the technical side.
- SpeedPad – SpeedPad is another company that welcomes newbies to apply for transcription jobs including medical transcription. Like most companies that offer work from home jobs, SpeedPad also offers a flexible work schedule, which is ideal for stay at home moms who need time to take care of their kids. The company also do not have a minimum required hours. Also, unlike other transcription companies, SpeedPad lets their transcriptionists choose their preferred job in a variety of industries. The pay rate is between $0.25 and $2.50 per minute.
- 3 Play Media – 3 Play Media is also an ideal company to work for especially for those who are just starting their medical transcription career. The company does not require any work experience. However, they require proficiency in computer word processing, having a reliable internet research skills, and knowledgeable in using Microsoft Excel. The company is currently hiring not just English transcribers, but Spanish transcriptionists as well. The compensation is on a project-based basis. At an average, you are likely to earn between $10 and $30 per hour.
Apart from the above-mentioned companies/online sites, you can also check out some of the most popular freelance job listing sites for possible medical transcription gigs. These sites include the famous Upwork, Indeed, iFreelance, Freelancer, Flexjobs, as well as Flexjobs. All you need to do is search for “medical transcriptionist at home jobs” or “work from home medical transcription jobs” on the search bar.
As you can see, there are a lot of companies and/or online sites that offer medical transcriptionist at home jobs – and it’s just some of the many companies that offer such a job. As we have mentioned a couple of times, most of these companies welcome newbies in medical transcription, which means you can apply regardless if you do not have previous transcription job experience.
So, if you are planning to jumpstart your medical transcription career today, no need to worry because you will surely find one. Needless to say, the opportunity to earn more is endless in this industry as long as you have the right skills and attitude at work.
Good luck and may you find your medical transcription match soon!