Who doesn’t want to look good and be confident? We all want to, right? But how do you do that especially if you are someone who’s not really keen on how you look? Well, that is where image consultancy comes in. As you read on, we are going to share with you what image consultancy is all about and how to be an AICI Image Consultant member.
Feeling good about one’s self starts from looking good, sounding good, and being confident. Don’t get me wrong, we are all created equally beautiful. But let’s admit it, the world has become a huge arena of competition. We need to stand out in order to succeed especially in the professional world. How do we do that is what image consultancy is trying to address.
What is image consultancy?
Before we explore further the responsibilities of an image consultant and how to be an AICI image consultant per se, let us discuss first what image consultancy is all about.
Image consultancy is a professional field dealing with improving clients’ all-encompassing self-image. It’s a process that has expanded into many different specialties.
Increasing confidence levels can be for personal or professional reasons; whatever the client desires.
The field explores and evaluates the client’s personal, social or professional goals in regards to what accomplishments they wish to achieve in life.
Image consultancy uses a blank canvas (client) and applies whatever is needed to allow the client to make a visible positive transformation. It’s the method of helping clients exert increasing control over their own outward impressions through clothing, grooming, body language, and etiquette, to name just a few.
Image consultancy enables a client to project the confidence they desire to gain respect in the community leading to a satisfying social life. A positive visual image is utilized to allow the client to strive for excellence, ultimately leading to success.
What does an image consultant do?
An image consultant assists you in putting your best foot forward and maximizing your potential. Regardless of your profession, or if you even have a career, image consultants work with you to improve not just your appearance, but the personality traits that are affected by your appearance. Behavior, communication, and physical appearance are all under the same umbrella. Each one affects the other profoundly.
Simply, an image consultant helps people look and feel better, which leads to a much happier life! Once he/ she has evaluated the client’s individual situation, work begins from the outside to the inside. The consultant starts by telling the client what needs to be done, and they may even do it for them in the beginning.
The wide range of areas that image consultants work in, but not limited to, are the following:
- Lifestyle evaluation
- Personality traits evaluation
- Personal style evaluation
- Evaluation of the body figure
- Style selection
- Personal coloring evaluation
- Color coordination
- Fabric selection
- Pattern selection
- Evaluation of current wardrobe
- Wardrobe selection
- Selection of accessories
- Clothing for special occasions
- Wardrobe and fashion styling
- Body hygiene
- Hair care and styling
- Makeup selection and application
- Body language
- Social, business and dining etiquette
- Communication style and skills
Regardless of who you are or who you work with, results tend to be long-lasting, leading to a greater overall sense of well-being and an increased level of personal success. The best part for the image consultant is seeing the change the client has achieved and reveling in their success. In essence, they are teachers, coaches, and mentors.
What is AICI?
According to their website, the Association of Image Consultants International or AICI is “the leading professional association of personal and corporate image consultants.”
It is a not for profit organization that is dedicated to progressing the level of professionalism and improving the recognition of image consultants.
They cater clients to a wide range of clients from individuals to corporate. An AICI image consultant counsels his or her client/s on different aspects including but not limited to appearance, communication, etiquette, skills, behavior, and international protocol. Apart from these, an AICI image consultant guide clients in achieving their goals with integrity, genuineness, and buoyancy.
AICI offers three types of image consultancy membership, the AICI Image Consultant Membership, the Related Business Membership, and the Academic Membership. But, we will focus more on the AICI Image Consultant Membership.
How to be an AICI Image Consultant member?
AICI Image Consultant membership is open to all individuals who work in the image consultancy field. Once an image consultant submits his/her application, AICI reviews it and reserves the right to accept or deny the application based on the criteria the organization has set in their membership requirements.
The organization offers a rolling membership, which means, the membership begins once your application is approved and payment has been processed. The membership is good for one year.
Those aspiring to be an AICI Image Consultant member has to pay the membership fee amounting to $295. Apart from that, he/she has to undergo and complete professional training equivalent to a minimum of twenty (20) hours. The training includes topics on the image within the AICI Core Competencies.
According to AICI, as an AICI Image Consultant member, you get to enjoy the following benefits:
- Be a part of the largest international association of image consultants and network with over 1,000 image professionals who practice throughout the Americas, Canada, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia.
- Subscribe to AICI exclusive’member only’ image trend reports, newsletters, and the Global Newsletter.
- Have exclusive access to ‘member only’ pages on the AICI web site.
- Be recognized as a proud member of the ‘Association of Image Consultants International’ AICI by having access to the AICI Member Logo for use on websites, business stationery, and marketing materials.
- Access to a wealth of AICI accredited image training resources; which include, but are not limited to; seminars, webinars, teleclass, blogs, books and training resource materials.
- Add credibility to professional skills, marketing materials, and resume by participating in training programs that offer industry and internationally recognized ‘certified educational units’ (C.E.U.’s).
- Share ideas and learn about new business trends and practices from around the world by having access to AICI exclusive international discussions group technology.
- Become a member of an AICI chapter and attend meetings, educational programs, and networking events.
- Benefit from exclusive AICI membership reduced rates to attend the largest gathering of international image consultants worldwide at AICI conferences.
- Be a volunteer at AICI conferences and further enhance networking opportunities at the largest gathering of international image consultants worldwide.
- Attend high caliber CEU’d concurrent sessions at AICI conferences presented by top internationally recognized trainers.
The demand for image consultants has increased significantly and continues to grow at a very rapid rate. Now is the perfect time to choose image consulting as a career, and be competitive and competent by being an AICI Image Consultant.
What makes the image consultancy fascinating?
Being an image consultant is not only potentially very profitable, but fulfilling too. Imagine the feeling of successfully helping someone make a tremendous difference in their life – it is extremely rewarding.
It is a fascinating work that offers amazing variety and personal fulfillment.
You will be surprised knowing that there are a lot of people who are willing to pay for image consultants just so they could save themselves from anxiety, time and effort. Also, this field offers sky’s the limit in terms of earning potential.
Being an image consultant does not only put the challenge to your clients, but also to yourself. That is why there are the likes of being an AICI Image Consultant. Being one challenges you to do better and be excellent in the job.
Starting your own image consulting business allows you independence and flexibility. You work when it’s convenient for you without having to answer to anyone. You decide who to work with – unless you are not that picky with people.
Being an image consultant, all the more an AICI Image Consultant is an excellent opportunity for stay-at-home moms or those who have always dreamed of working from home. This field will enable you to gain personal and professional growth. The best part is you can start right now. There is a target audience for your skills. You don’t have to be well-versed in every single area of image consulting. You provide services that you have expertise in. It’s vital, however, that you have a deep passion for helping people change their lives for the better. At the end of the day, in whatever job, so long as you have the will and the passion, you will definitely succeed.