Finding the right baby skincare products must be the most exciting, at the same time, the most challenging for most moms. Good thing, there are products that are proven baby-friendly and has earned an excellent reputation like the Aquaphor Baby line. Read on and know more about what Aquaphor Baby offers.
I am a first-time mom and being one, I must say, it is one hell of a joyful ride!
Imagine, from the time we found out we were pregnant, I was very happy and thrilled. Although, I must also admit that there were moments of doubts and anxiousness. I mean, yes, I am a first-time mom, but I have a mom and mommy friends to help me begin this new chapter of my life. Sorry, I had to exclude my husband. There are just some matters that only women can relate to, right?
Anyway, one of the things that really excites me most is shopping for baby’s needs! I know, it feels really good to shop for yourself, but when you are an expecting mom or a mom already, shopping gets even more exciting! Sometimes too exciting that you just find yourself surprised at the amount of stuff you bought for your child.
As a mom, one of our major concerns though when shopping is getting the right baby skincare products. This part was really the most critical for me. I have heard of mommies sharing their stories about their babies getting diaper rashes, and worse, having eczema.
Thus, when I was selecting my baby’s skincare products, I was very wary. Good thing, my pediatrician friend recommended Aquaphor Baby. She insisted I go and check their skincare merchandise as they have one of the bests when it comes to baby skincare products.
Aquaphor Baby has so much to offer especially when it comes to protecting your baby’s gentle skin. In fact, I guess it is safe to say that what they have are the essential products you need when it comes to your baby’s skincare. I was delighted knowing there is a brand that most mommies rely on, and I eventually, relied on too.
Personally, I love the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment and the Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream, which I will be sharing more about later on.
Meanwhile, let me share some skincare tips first for your baby especially for newborns. I find this really helpful for you to better understand the products that I will be sharing with you later.
Baby Skincare Tips
– Avoid the urge to bathing your baby frequently.
Keeping your baby clean does not necessarily mean giving your baby bathe every so often. For newborns, three times a week is the maximum. The thing about frequent bathing is that it removes the natural oil that is responsible for protecting your baby’s skin. With such removal of oil, it makes your baby’s skin more vulnerable and dry, which in some cases heightens eczema.
Your baby may be pooping, peeing, and all that, but that does not mean he or she is dirty. Well, they really don’t get very dirty because it’s normal for us adults to ensure that the place where the baby is usually is clean and out of the dirt.
In between the recommended three baths a week, you may keep your baby clean by changing clothes, and changing the diaper as needed – you may use little water or a cleanser when tidying up your baby’s butt every diaper change. Also, you may simply clean your baby’s mouth.
By the way, based on research, baby’s with a darker skin tone requires less bathing. In fact, a once-a-week sponge bath is enough. Apparently, babies who have darker skin tone have dryer skin and are more prone to skin problems like eczema.
– Avoid using scented baby products.
As mentioned, your baby’s skin is very sensitive and very delicate. Using scented products may irritate your baby’s skin. Thus, always go for unscented ones. At all times, be very mindful of what you put on your baby’s skin. After all, you do not want a fussy, aching baby, right?
– Make it a habit to always wash your baby’s clothes firs before putting it on.
Not because it’s new, it’s clean. Remember, before it even got into your hands, it went through several processes and has gone through the hands of various people. Thus, it is very important to wash your baby’s clothes, or any baby stuff for that matter before letting your baby use it or before putting them on your baby.
When it comes to washing your baby’s clothes, mittens and socks, blankets, and beddings, make sure to use baby detergents that are free of fragrance and dyes.
Unfortunately, there are babies with skin that needs more attention. These are babies with either eczema or diaper rash conditions. In these cases, here are a few tips on how to deal with these skin types or conditions:
– Skincare for Babies with Eczema
Eczema is very common among babies. It’s a skin condition that itchy and eventually develops into red rashes. It is common for eczema symptoms to appear on the face and scalp of babies. It may also show up at the elbows, as well as behind the knees.
To prevent the development of eczema, as well as dry and irritated skin, keep in mind the following tips:
– Bathe your baby at most, once a week.
– Avoid scented products.
– Use only cotton-based clothing for your baby.
– Use over the counter ointments or creams like the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment, as prescribed by your baby’s doctor.
– Skincare for Babies with Diaper Rash
Diaper rash is a very common skin problem on babies. It is often caused by the irritating wetness of filthy diaper, or could also be because your baby’s skin was not properly dried after bathing. In some cases, a bacteria or yeast infection causes diaper rash, especially among babies who are taking antibiotics.
While diaper rash does not require medical care, it can be really irritating and can cause a fussy baby if not treated or prevented.
That said, here are a few tips on how to get rid or prevent diaper rash:
– Frequent check and change your baby’s diaper. For newborns, it is advisable to change your baby’s diaper every so often.
– Wash the diaper area using a baby cleanser that is fragrance-free or just plain water. In cases when there are severe rashes, you may use a squirt bottle to clean the affected area without rubbing.
– Avoid using baby wipes. Instead, use a soft clean cloth when cleaning the diaper area.
– Pat baby dry. Avoid rubbing your baby’s skin. Before putting on a new diaper, make sure that the diaper is fully dry.
– Apply diaper rash cream like the Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream to manage rashes on your baby’s skin.
If ever you have done these already yet your baby’s rashes do not show any sign of improvement, you better see your pediatrician right away.
Now that I have already shared with you a few tips on how to take care of your baby’s skin or address common baby skin problems, let’s proceed with the real deal.
I have mentioned quite a few times already my ever reliable and favorite Aquaphor Baby products. With that said, I will now share with you what I like most about these products. But before that, for the sake of those of you who are not familiar with Aquaphor or Aquaphor Baby, let me share with you some important facts about the brand first.
What is Aquaphor?
Aquaphor is a well-known over-the-counter brand of skincare products. It is manufactured by Beiersdorf Inc., which is an affiliate of Beiersdorf AG.
Aquaphor comes in four product lines. They are:
– Aquaphor Original Ointment, which is used as a compounding agent.
– Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment, which is commonly sold in retail outlets.
– Aquaphor Lip Repair and Lip Repair + Protect SPF 30, which is obviously to help revitalize cracked and dry lips.
– Aquaphor Baby, which is obviously dedicated to caring for your baby’s gentle skin.
For over 90 years now, Aquaphor has been widely known and available in the United States. In fact, it is no wonder why it has almost become a household name. It indeed has earned its reputation when it comes to skincare.
Aquaphor products contain 41% of petroleum, which is an active ingredient, in accordance with the US Food and Drug Administration’s OTC Skin Protectant Monograph. Aquaphor is used mainly to protect minor cuts, burns, as well as scrapes. Aquaphor also helps relieve and protect cracked, or chapped lips and skin. It is also used to protect the skin from the drying effects of the cold weather, as well as the wind. The brand is widely used and recommended by health care professionals particularly in treating minor post-operative defects or rounds.
What is Aquaphor Baby?
Aquaphor Baby, as mentioned earlier in the baby skincare line of the Aquaphor.
Aquaphor Baby has three different products under it, which includes:
- Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment (It comes in different packages: 2 by .25oz, 1.75oz.,3oz., 7oz., and 14oz.)
- Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream
- Aquaphor Baby Wash and Shampoo (It comes in three different sizes: 8.4oz., 16.9 Fl. Oz., 25.4 Fl. Oz.)
Aquaphor Baby products are dermatologically tested and approved and are highly recommended and prescribed by pediatricians.
Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment
Just like most babies, I noticed mine had dry skin too. That is why initially, I panicked a little because I thought it might develop into eczema. Good thing I got to know the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment sooner.
The first week that I used it on my baby, I immediately saw the difference. Now that made me believe even more in the product and also, it was like an affirmation on why a lot of moms like me love the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment.
What is it made for?
Ultimately, it is made to provide extra gentle care for our babies’ delicate skin needs. The Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment is a multi-purpose ointment. It particularly addresses the following baby skin conditions:
– chapped cheeks
– minor scrapes and scratches,
– diaper rash
– dry skin
There are actually a lot more to add the list, but these are just some of the common skin condition that the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment addresses.
Why use Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment?
There are a number of reasons to convince you to use the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment. Here are some:
– It is recommended by most pediatricians when it comes to addressing baby skincare needs.
– It is clinically proven to help restore your baby’s smooth and healthy skin.
– It is distinctively formulated with 41% petrolatum, which allows oxygen to flow and ultimately, help heal the skin.
– It contains panthenol and glycerin, which keeps skin moisturized, nurtured, and protected.
– It helps address the baby’s dry and chapped skin and is also good for teething, as well as rashes.
– It helps relieve diaper rash in just six hours.
– It does not contain preservatives.
– It is fragrance-free.
– It is hypoallergenic.
– It is ideal not only for the baby but for the whole family, too!
What makes Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment?
For your reference, here are the ingredients that make the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment:
Active Ingredient: Petrolatum (41%) – Skin protectant
Inactive Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol
Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream
Although the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment can also help heal diaper rash, personally, I prefer to use Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream for my baby’s diaper area. It gives me a feeling that since it is specifically made for that purpose, I am assured it help me keep my baby’s diaper area protected from diaper rash – which I have already proven true, by the way.
What is it made for?
Well, obviously, the Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream is specifically formulated to protect our babies’ very delicate skin from diaper rash. It provides calming relief and efficiently treats the baby’s diaper rash. The Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream is specially formulated using zinc oxide and panthenol, which serves as an effective barrier and helps protect your baby’s skin all throughout the day and night, too.
The Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream is safe to use for both preventing and treating diaper rash. As for me, I use it every day, thus diaper rash no longer appears on my baby’s skin.
Why use the Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream?
Like the ointment, there are also so many reasons to like the Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream, and here are some:
– It is a 3-in-1 solution. Meaning, it prevents, soothes, and treats diaper rash.
– It is highly recommended by most pediatricians.
– It is a skin protectant with zinc oxide as one of its components.
– It immediately helps in protecting the skin from diaper rash, as well as help soothes irritations.
– It does not contain preservatives.
– It is fragrance-free.
– It is hypoallergenic.
– The size is very ideal for your diaper bag, you can take it anywhere you go!
What makes the Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream?
Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream is made up of the following ingredients:
Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide (15%) – Skin protectant
Inactive Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Ceresin, Polyglyceryl-4 Diisostearate/Polyhydroxystearate/Sebacate, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Water
Aquaphor Baby Products Safety Indications
While both products are definitely good for the skin, here are a few safety indications to keep in minds:
– The products are for external use only. Keep it out of children’s reach. If swallowed, immediately see a doctor.
– NEVER use the ointment for animal bites, deep/puncture wounds, or serious burns.
– Should symptoms persist for more than a week, and you see no signs of improvement, stop using the product and immediately see a doctor. It may be an indication that the formulation is not working for the skin condition, and the doctor may need to prescribe something else that is applicable to the problem.
Aquaphor Baby Products Ingredients
For both you to have a better understanding of why Aquaphor Baby products are effective, I gathered essential information about its main ingredients.
Petrolatum – This substance is a very important ingredient as its main function is to lock moisture into the skin to keep dryness away.
Panthenol – This one is a very powerful agent that is responsible for revitalizing, moisturizing, hydrating and soothing the skin. It is also powerful in reducing itch and inflammation.
Bisabolol – It is an essential oil extracted from chamomile. It is anti-inflammatory and is responsible for healing and conditioning the skin.
Glycerin – This ingredient is responsible for keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. It is also effective in healing and repairing damaged skin.
Ceresin, Lanolin and Mineral Oil – When combined together, these three become effective in trapping skin moisture.
Aquaphor Baby products are no doubt effective, and highly commendable. I mean, I have read so many good reviews, and based on personal experience, I must say it worth it. I took into consideration the fact that is being a highly-recommended product that keeps the baby’s skin protected from skin problems.
Also, although it indicates that it is made for babies, the Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment can actually be used by the whole family as well. Thus, making it even more ideal. Honestly, I only have good words really for these products.
I hope that as Aquaphor Baby products did really well on my baby, may it also do the same to yours.