You’ve got yourself an internship. Great! However, you must ask yourself what goals do you want to accomplish. You now have a unique opportunity as interns to meet new people in your industry and even participate in staff meetings. Maybe your responsibilities have been limited to trivial tasks. No worries. You can learn quite a bit by just having a presence and observing how employees interact within the environment.
Lessons to Be Learned from Interns
Take note of your boss’s behaviors in different situations. Become familiar with their personality and how they respond to and treat other employees. If they are miserable first thing in the morning, then avoid interaction until you notice a difference. Many times, people just need a cup of coffee to acclimate to the new day.
There will be employees of all ages. Observe how each works and notice how they act with the others in a professional environment.
Be sure to ask your boss how your performance has been. Are they happy with your progress?
Supervisors obviously have the most responsibility. However, don’t just observe their behavior. Notice how other approach him/her and learn from them as well.
Proper dressing is extremely important. Always look put together a good attire and look professional.
Do not get involved with those that gossip. Of course, you can observe but never participate.
Follow and emulate the etiquette of others.
You Might Also Like: 5 Things You Need To Know About Success In The 21st Century
What Not to Do As an Intern
Never take breaks without permission. You certainly don’t want your supervisor to have to look for you.
Some companies do not allow to take files or work home without permission. Some things are never meant to leave the office.
[perfectpullquote align=”full” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]Don’t take on projects that are not your responsibility. You can certainly offer to help in other areas, but don’t take it upon yourself.[/perfectpullquote]
Personal Goals for Interns
Maybe you’ve decided to work towards the goal to start your own business. Let’s think about why you want to be your own boss and why it’d be the best approach.
- You can set your own schedule around the responsibilities you have in real life.
- Think about what kind of business you want to create in terms of management.
- You will have the ability to work anywhere.
- You’ll experience an extreme sense of satisfaction.
- Decide who you want to work with such as motivated and ambitious individuals.
- You’ll have the ability to make a goal for the amount of money you want to make.
- You decide what type of dress your employees will wear; casual or professional.
- Breaks and snacks. Will you allow snacking at your employees’ desk while working?
- Answer only to yourself.
- Job security as nobody can fire you.
- Your motivation will increase because everything you do will affect the success of your business.
- You can inspire and motivate other women as a role model.
- You have as much flexibility as you choose.
- Reap huge rewards for yourself.
- No more anxiety from a traditional workplace.
Now that you have an idea of the benefits of being your own boss, you have the ability to decide if it’s the right choice for you. Chances are you’ll love being your own boss.
Become a charlie! today and be your own boss.
Find our tips useful? Or some of your own? Share with us, in the comments below.