Having eczema is truly uncomfortable. That is why it is not surprising that a lot of those who have eczema try to find ways to help them cope with the symptoms of this skin condition. In this article, we are going to share with you our latest find that helps ease skin flare-ups – the Tamanu Oil for eczema.
There are a lot of ways to help lessen skin flare-ups for those suffering from eczema. Depends on you, you can either stick to the usual eczema topical creams and ointments or you’d widen your choices and try out some alternatives like the tamanu oil eczema.
Tamanu Oil: What is it?
Tamanu oil is proven to be good for eczema. It gives relief to babies, children, and adults who undergo skin flare-ups due to eczema. Tamanu oil eczema is a natural treatment method that helps control itchiness, rashes, and redness caused by eczema.
Tamanu oil is extracted from seeds of the evergreen tree called, Calophyllum inophyllum or commonly known as the Tamanu Nut tree. The oil from this tree, as well as its other parts, are known to have been used medically for hundreds of years already by certain Asian, African, and Pacific Island cultures.
Based on history, many people believed in the efficacy of tamanu oil in healing skin conditions. In recent years, there had been a lot of anecdotal stories that came up about the use of tamanu oil for skin conditions like eczema.
Uses of Tamanu Oil
Tamanu oils have several uses. Apart from using tamanu oil eczema, it’s also used for the following conditions:
- Athlete’s foot
- Dark Spots
- Dry skin
- Hair loss
Tamanu oil is believed to help alleviate pain. Thus, it is used topically to help ease out the pain caused by different conditions like cold sores, shingles, and sciatica. Some people also believe that tamanu oil can help in the regeneration of the skin, which makes it good for those with stretch marks and scars.
More to that, tamanu oil is also said to help in the healing of blisters, cuts, burns, scrapes, and helps soothe insect bites. With a wide array of uses, it’s indeed an oil that works wonders.
Benefits of Tamanu Oil Eczema
Many people believed in the power of tamanu oil in easing out symptoms of eczema. This is not surprising because tamanu oil contains inflammatory and moisturizing properties, which are both good for eczema. If you are someone who has eczema, you may use it either in tamanu oil in pure form, diluted, or by using products using tamanu oils as an active ingredient.
Specifically using it in treating eczema, here are a few ways on how to use tamanu oil eczema:
– Use it as your facial moisturizer. You may apply it twice a day in substitute to your usual moisturizer. We specifically suggest using Puressant 100% cold pressed tamanu oil eczema.
– Use it as a topical cream. There are several personal care products that are a good substitute for your usual cream for eczema. We suggest Tamanu Butter from Volcanic Earth Natural Skin Care. Apart from tamanu oil, it also contains moisturizing qualities of virgin coconut oil and cocoa butter. You may apply it to the affected area in the morning and in the afternoon. Using this butter helps reduce inflammation and stimulate growth or healthy new skin.
– Use it as a hand cream. Still from Volcanic Earth Natural Skin Care, for those who suffer from eczema particularly in the hands, finger, and face, we suggest using Skin Rejuvenating Moisturizer (with Tamanu Oil) at night before going to bed.
Just a disclaimer though, make sure to always consult first your doctor prior to using any of these products to ensure that it will not cause allergies or further damage to your skin – note that people who are allergic to nuts should rather not use any product with tamanu oil as it is a nut oil and not an essential oil.
Other Benefits of Tamanu Oil
It has long been believed that tamanu oil has a lot of health and beauty benefits. We listed a few of them below:
- Tamanu oil is good to help fade stretch marks. This is beneficial for mommies! Tamanu oil is believed to help lessen if not fade stretch marks because of its moisturizing, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Although not enough research has been done yet to know its efficacy, many of those who used it for this purpose believe in the power of the tamanu oil.
- Tamanu oil helps soothe dry skin. With its high-fat content, tamanu oil is very moisturizing to the skin, which is also one of the reasons why tamanu oil is good for eczema.
- Tamanu oil is good for acne-prone skin. There has been a study that was conducted in 2015, wherein it was revealed that the tamanu oil has high antibacterial and wound-healing properties, which is good in fighting acne. There was also evidence of tamanu oil’s anti-inflammatory properties, which even made it good for treating inflamed acne.
- Tamanu oil helps lessen scars. There have been a number of studies conducted that found out the efficacy of tamanu oil in healing skin-related problems. It has several properties that help skin wound heal faster, reduce inflammation, as well as produce collagen production. If you are a caesarian mom, you may use tamanu oil to help lessen your CS scar.
- Tamanu oil helps treat insect bites. Since the oil has anti-inflammatory properties, it’s good in treating insect bites. Although, research has yet to be conducted to ensure its efficacy in this condition.
- Tamanu oil for healing rashes. Using pure tamanu oil helps in healing rashes because of its superior healing power. It promotes new skin tissue, thus, speeding up the healing process of the skin.
- Tamanu oil helps treat sunburns and other kinds of burns. Tamanu oils have high healing and antibacterial properties. Thus, it is not surprising why a lot of people believe it to be effective in treating sunburns and other burns.
- Tamanu oil helps to prevent wrinkles. For a beauty for keeps, use tamanu oil to help prevent your wrinkles from coming out. Tamanu oils is commonly used as an ingredient in many skin care products like anti-aging creams because of its rich fatty acids, which helps keep skin moisturized.
- Tamanu oil reduces the appearance of dark spots. Although there is no specific study that proves the efficacy of tamanu oil when used for this purpose, many people have applied it in their dark spots believed that the oil has helped a lot in lightening them up.
Side Effects and Precautions in Using Tamanu Oil
Tamanu oil is considered safe generally especially when used topically. However, some people might get an allergic reaction to it. As you know, we all have different skin and body types. That is why it is also important that you know first if you have allergies to this type of oil before using it to treat, help or prevent your skin condition.
Make sure that when you experience redness, itching, irritation or any other adverse reactions, you stop using tamanu oil immediately. In particular, those people who have nut allergies must take proper precaution.
While tamanu oil eczema is good, better safe than sorry. You do not want it to trigger worse eczema or any other skin reaction, right?
As part of precaution too, tamanu oil product labels warn users to avoid it from contacting the eyes as well as swallowing the oil. Those selling it also warn against using tamanu oil in open wounds as it is not made for that. Irresponsible and improper usage of the oil may cause harm to health and cause further damage to the infected area.
Also, please know that tamanu oil is considered as a health supplement, thus it is not regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a cure to any disease.
Where to Buy Tamanu Oil?
Tamanu oil is not hard to find as it is widely available. You may purchase tamanu oil online through online stores like Amazon.com or you may opt to buy it offline in various natural-food stores nationwide. Tamanu oils are available in either 100% pure tamanu oil or diluted ones.
You may also find products that used tamanu oil as an active ingredient – most of these products though fall in personal-care like moisturizers, serums, creams, and lotions like the ones from Volcanic Earth Natural Skin Care. Tamanu oil eczema is also available – mostly are in diluted form.
To conclude, while there are a lot of topical creams and moisturizers out there that helps relieve symptoms of eczema, we also have alternative options in natural form like the tamanu oil eczema. A natural remedy is always the best. However, before putting or using anything, make sure that you have asked your doctors first. We all have different bodies and skin, what works for one may or may not work for the other. So better take extra precaution.