Get hired on VIPKID in just a week! It’s possible! All you have to do is read on and know more how to ace your VIPKid interview and get hired.
You’ve got bills to pay, and it feels like your salary is not enough to cover everything anymore.
You are a new mom who decided to quit your job to take care of your baby but doesn’t want to be a burden to your husband and still wants to earn your own money.
You are a new grad and you thought finding a job is not that easy these days, you want to try your luck over freelance online jobs.
You are someone who just wants to earn extra money to get you to your next vacation destination or to be able to buy that dress and pair of shoes on the rack at your favorite shop.
Whoever you may be among these cases, here’s the thing, you can actually land a job in as soon as one week via VIPKid.
I, for one, was once in the shoes of a mom who needed to quit her job to take care of her child but wanted her own money.
Initially, I thought finding an online job was difficult until I landed on VIPKid and knocked out VIPKid interview process. Thanks to those who were generous enough to share tips on how to ace the VIPKid interview, it all worked for me! Thus, I thought it’s just right that I share with you what made me land a job at VIPKid.
What is VIPKiD?
VIPKid was established in 2013 by educators and administrators who had a decade of experience in teaching. VIPKid is basically an online ESL or English as a Second Language teaching platform. The company aims to provide a virtual classroom setting for both students and teachers. VIPKid specifically caters to students from China aged 4 to 12 years old.
Unlike other online ESL teaching platforms, VIPKid boasts being sponsored for more than$100,000,000 coming from various prominent venture capital firms. It’s something they take pride on and well, makes them a legit company.
VIPKid is proud to have over 30,000 teachers to date, and more than 500,000 registered students. That’s a huge number, right? Which is why they are in need of more teachers, which means more job opportunities for you and me.
VIPKid is showing no sign of stopping its operation despite the emerging competition in the online English teaching industry. In fact, VIPKid is said to be the leading English teaching platform in China.
How does VIPKid differ from other online English teaching platforms?
VIPKid uses its own learning management system or LMS to be able to convey their lessons.
With regards to the curriculum, I guess it is safe to say that their curriculum is very competitive because they based it on the United States Common Core Standards. Meaning, the teachers have to have a background or experience in teaching in the United States and are expected to be knowledgeable or at least familiar with its approaches.
Well, apart from above, VIPKid also prefers teachers whose native language is English. So, if you are from the US or Canada, you better take a chance and apply today at VIPkid.
With that said, it is not surprising why some people find the process of getting into VIPKid a little difficult.
What are the requirements to be a VIPKid teacher?
According to the VIPkid website, you must meet the following key requirements to be considered at VIPKid:
- You have to be a bachelor’s degree (or higher) holder in any field.
- You are eligible to work in the US or Canada.
- You have at least 1 year of teaching experience (includes but are not limited to homeschooling, tutoring, coaching, as well as mentoring).
Additionally, VIPKid also takes into consideration the following:
– If you have a teaching qualification in ESL or in any other subject. It is preferred, but not necessarily essential. In case you do not have one, you don’t have to worry because you will be asked to take a short TESOL course, which is a part of the application process anyway.
– You speak and write English fluently. This will be evaluated during your application to VIPKid.
– Although it’s not really a requirement, you will have an edge if you have some experience of the K12 curriculum whether as a teacher or as a student.
– You will also have better chances if you got a “North American” accent since you will be required to teach American English.
Other useful experience that is not required but good to have to get more bookings if accepted for the job are:
– You are good with handling kids. You know how to make learning enjoyable for the kids in an online setting.
– You have taught English as a Second Language or ESL, as well as you have ESL qualifications.
– You have teaching experience in any subject.
– You have had tutored online before, which is your edge when it comes to the demo/interview and might just earn you higher starting rate.
– You have the skills to entertain kids and be friends with them.
But apart from the list of qualifications, VIPKid also has equipment requirements. As part of the interview process, you will be asked to do a 2-3 demo or mock lessons. Thus, you have to ensure you have the following:
– Reliable internet connection
– Laptop or computer with a webcam
– Headset with microphone (preferably the one with noise cancellation ability)
– A way of printing color
– Joyful, kid-friendly background like a poster of the alphabet and numbers or a large card with kiddie pictures on it.
Don’t get overwhelmed with the requirements. It may look tough, but it’s reasonable and doable. I should know because that’s exactly how I initially felt, but when I started crossing each requirement, I was surprised I actually have them.
How is the VIPKid application process?
VIPKid has a new application process.
The VIPKid application process comes in four steps. According to its website, it usually takes one to two weeks to complete the whole application process.
You must be wondering why it’s that long.
Well, it is justified by the fact that apart from filling out the online forms, it also includes several interviews including the demo and mock classes, which actually needs enough time to prepare. So, looking at it, the timeline is just fair.
Now, here is the process that you will need to go through to be a VIPKid teacher.
- Fill-out the Basic Information Form
On this part of the application process, you are asked to enter basic information about you and your professional experience, particularly, teaching experience. When filling out VIPKid’s basic information form, make sure to avoid committing mistakes.
- Demo/Interview Process
You are given two options here. You either do a live demo/interview or a recorded one. With the live demo/interview, you will teach to your interviewer. Your interviewer will act like a 5-year-old kid. If you will opt for the recorded one, you will teach to an imaginary student.
VIPKid will provide you with materials so all you have to do is prepare. This stage is essential as it helps determine your base pay rate. Thus, the better your output, the higher your base rate will be.
- Do a Teaching Prep and Mock Classes
To be able to determine which VIPKid levels or courses you best belong, you will have to undergo the mock classes. Just like the demo/interview, you will be teaching your interviewer who is acting to be a child. What’s nice about this process if, it is less pressure compared to the demo/interview. Here, you can re-take the first mock classes several times. But of course, the shorter you take, the better. This process also serves as a teacher training, so, don’t get pressures rather enjoy this part of the application process.
- Signing the Contract plus Taking the TESOL Course
Once you have accomplished and passed the first three processes, you will eventually get into the most exciting part of the application process – signing your contract!
Signing your contract will be done online. Along with it, you also have to upload your documents like degree certificate, identification card, photos, short introductory video, and a short bio.
Also, compared to other online teaching companies, VIPKid does a background check. So, you better be ready for it. It’s basically ensuring that you are real.
As mentioned earlier, if you have a teaching background, upload your proof. Otherwise, you will have to take the TESOL foundation course.
How to champion the VIPKid interview?
If you remember, VIPKid interview has two options. You can either go for the live one or the recorded option. But whether you chose the former or the latter, it requires the same amount of dedication for you to nail the VIPKid interview process.
Just to give you an idea about the two options, also, for you to choose which you think will work best for you…
Option 1, which is the live interview involves answering questions from your acting student (your interviewer), at the same time, teaching the demo slides provided by VIPKid (usually takes 5 minutes).
Option 2, which is the recorded demo requires you to log in into the online classroom. You will not see any interviewer, thus, you have to teach an imaginary student. The demo also takes 5 minutes.
I personally prefer option 1. It may be nerve-wracking thinking about it, but at least, should you pass this process, you will no longer feel the same nerves during the mock classes because you already experience teaching in front of your interviewer. It’s like, you will be more confident because you already surpassed the harder one.
Whether you choose option 1 or option 2, both require the same amount of attention and dedication. After all, the VIPKid interview is the process where you will have to prove yourself – that you are worthy to be a VIPKid teacher.
To be able to champion the VIPKid interview process, you have to:
- Read thoroughly the slides and target language sent by VIPKid.
Remember, VIPKid will be the one providing the materials for the VIPKid interview process. Once you receive it, I highly recommend reading through it carefully. Ensure to make yourself familiar with everything. No, you don’t have to like memorize everything, but you have to get the idea and make sure you follow whatever instruction there is. That way, you get to have a seamless and accurate demo/interview.
- Do your research, read and watch example VIPKid interview or demo.
The internet is there, so use it in your advantage. I highly suggest you Google VIPKid interview or demo examples to give you better ideas on how to prepare for it. You may also check on YouTube for video demos. If you have a referral teacher, you can also ask him or her for advice, and also if they have materials they can share or lend you so you get to nail the VIPKid interview or demo.
- Come up with a plan.
During my VIPKid interview, I made sure not to sound like I memorized the words I said. Your interviewer will notice it. So make sure to be as natural as possible when you speak. I do not have a problem with those who chose to memorize their demo. You may opt for whatever works for you.
To be able to come up with a good VIPKid interview or demo plan, you may consider the following:
– Prepare – When you do the live demo/interview, be prepared mentally for the demo, at the same time, be prepared to be asked about your educational background, your teaching, and work experiences, etc.
– Buy essential materials for the demo – VIPKid does not require you to purchase anything, but I highly recommend buying material you think will help in making your demo as real as possible. Remember, should you pass this process, your rate will be based on your performance during your demo/interview.
Some materials I did buy for the demo are:
- A whiteboard. I tell you, it’s very useful in teaching.
- The best material in teaching the kids the alphabet.
- Making your class fun involves using a puppet. I don’t know why, but it works best for children. It’s easy to catch their attention when you have a puppet.
- Educational cards or poster of the alphabet for your background. It’s actually part of the requirements of VIPKid. I suggest choosing the most visually appealing.
- Plain, bright-colored shirt. Well, obviously, because children love colors.
- Laminated print outs to be used for your reward system. When you teach kids, you have to make it enjoyable for them to listen and cooperate. One way to catch their attention is by giving them a reward. Since it’s online, you have to be creative. In my case, I used laminated print outs of bananas and monkey.
By the way, it won’t be a waste of money anyway if you nail the application process and get in the job, right?
- Practice and record your mock demo several times.
To help you gain confidence for the VIPKid interview/demo, I suggest you ask a friend to act as your student. Tell them to act like a 5-year-old kid. Ask them to make mistakes, so you can polish addressing kids’ mistakes and to hone you in responding slowly so the kids.
I suggest recording it too using your camera or mobile phone, so you get to judge your performance and be able to see which part or parts you need to work on or improve.
- Ask for feedback and tips from your referral teacher.
If you have referral teacher, you better ask his or her feedback about your lesson plan and the video you recorded during your rehearsal. It would be an edge for you if you get feedback from someone who is already a VIPKid teacher. He or she has already gone through the process, so he or she knows what and what not to do during the demo or the VIPKid interview.
If possible, you may ask him or her to actually act as your interviewer. You may also ask tips on how to make a better presentation or demo.
To wrap it all up, nailing the VIPKid interview is easy if you prepare enough and of course, do your best in the process. Also, you have to be genuine. Your love for teaching kids has to show the moment you start your VIPKid interview/demo. The interviewer will sure notice if you are just faking it.
I highly suggest putting an effort when it comes to VIPKid interview. It is the deal breaker. If you do great, you will sure proceed to the next step, which is the mock classes, a step closer to getting the contract signed. Also, remember that your performance during the VIPKid interview will define your base rate. So, if you are aiming to make more money, you better deliver the best that you can.